Saturday, March 27, 2010

Take a picture, trick!

Alert the press, the blog is officially back.  I suspended blog for a bit because there was a chance I was going to be leaving Korea and the stress of the situation caused me to have no ambition to write.  Contrary to how I sometimes sound, I am quite happy here.  I don't think I would stay longer than a year, but I am enjoying all the trials and tribulations of living in a country so foreign from my own.  I just tend to focus on more of the negative aspects in the blog mostly because they result in more interesting stories!  Anyway, it was actually reasons at home that were causing me to think of leaving.  My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in February, and until she had the surgery to remove the tumor, we didn't know what the recovery process would be (if she was stage one, two, etc).  I made the decision that if her treatment required chemo, I would leave here to be with her.   I can't imagine her going through that without me there.  THANKFULLY, she had the surgery this week and is now cancer-free.  We are immensely relieved and hopeful that her recovery will be as easy as possible.  So that's that.

Things are pretty much the same old around here now.  School has been mega draining.  We worked 6 days this week bc we had to attend some retarded (sorry for the use of this non-pc word, but it's appropriate) workshop on a Saturday, so we all pulled 60+ hours this week.   Only cool thing was the workshop was up north near the border, so we got to see life up there from the bus.  We are planning a full border tour when the weather gets better -- not independently of course.  I don't need to be sentenced to 12 years of hard labor!

Oh!  How could I forget?!  We had a field trip yesterday to a play called "Doggy Poo."  I knew that was the title going in, but I didn't anticipate the main character to be a giant piece of poo.  Talk about poo poo smell!  I don't get what it is about Koreans and their apparent  fascination with poop, but this is supposedly a very famous play!  All the older kids in the afternoon program had seen it before!  Anyway, here is a quick summary (from what I gathered, it was in Korean but a Korean coworker explained a couple things to clarify).  At the beginning, there is a scruffy dog running around.  Scruffy dog takes giant poop on the stage, this is all acted out.  Lights fade to black, then there is a spotlight on just the poo, which is now huge and steaming.  Poo is a person!  So Poo is having a rough life and thinks no one wants to be her friend.  Her one friend - who was compost (this part had to be translated to me) up and left with some farmer in a wheel barrel and then some random dancing chickens and hen didn't want to hang out either.  This all goes on for about an hour until Poo meets a flower and melts into the ground doing this crazy expressive dance and helps the flower grow.  WTF?!  I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it though!  Someone has pictures, I will steal and post soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment