Thursday, March 4, 2010

Umm Yeahhhhh...

Hello Peter. What's happening? Ahhh, we have a sort of a problem here. Yeah, you apparently didn't put one of the new cover sheets on your T.P.S. report.

Uh, huh.  My mom explained to me yesterday that I am not allowed to quit my job.  As much as I want, as much as everyone there wants to, I can't quit.  It is the most draining job I have ever had.  This week has been especially terrible.  I now have over 200 kids a week, that I see multiple times.  Just to clarify, I teach most kids 3 times a week, and there are 200 kids in total.  So 200 kids, 3 times a week.  No wonder I am staying out til all hours, I need to release some frustration! I have tons of first graders.  Yesterday, it took me like 10 minutes to explain how to write your homework down in the homework notebook.  Before, at the end of the day, I often had older kids who are much easier to teach.  They have been in school for a while, their English is very strong, they don't have behavior issues, and you can sit for a little at the table with them while teaching.  Little kids are very hard to sit with.  You have to constantly watch what they are doing.  "Why are you under the table?  Are you on the right page?  Don't throw your eraser!  I am serious, I better not hear the words poo poo again!" and on and on.  And "Teacherrrr!  What page?!  Danny keeps looking at me!  Joey go like this to me!"  Ahhhh, by the end of this year, I am going to be a mental person.

All this would be somewhat tolerable if I liked my coworkers.  I felt so silly saying to my mom, "Moooooommmm, I want to quit!  No one there is nice to me!"  Well, no one is really nice to each other, it's not just me.  Like I mentioned, we got 2 newbies last week.  One dude's luggage didn't come for 2 days.  Part of the job of being the head teacher is to welcome you when you get here, show you how to use your appliances, and help you settle.  So he gets in at night and has no Korean money, no bags, no food.  He asked her to borrow $10 Korean to get some food, toothpaste, etc.  Her response, "There's a bank down the street, it will be open in the morning, just change your money then."  He was like, uhhh, I kinda wanted to eat tonight too... Anyway, he didn't get the 10.   That's how everyone is there!  Apparently last week a post it was left on my desk about a class I was supposed to observe instead of having a break.  I'm chatting about how I have to finish my grading when across the room I hear the dino say,"Ummm, Alexandra, you don't have that break today, remember?"  Uh, no, I don't fucking remember.  And believe me, I would not forget about the loss of  my only break.  "Yeahhh, you are supposed to observe GT1 reading class."  "No, I'm not."  "Ok, hold on, I am going to get Lumbergh."  Ok, like why do you care?!  Anyway, Lumbergh (not real name) comes up.  "Yeah, Alexandra, there was a post-it on your desk earlier in the week. "  Me: "I didn't see it."  Her: "Well, yeah, it was there.  And I know it was there, because I saw it there, because I put it there."  Are you fucking kidding me?!?!  Her:  "It would really be best if you didn't take your break today."  Ok, I guess I won't!  Oh, and break is not like a real break.  It's the only time we get to grade and plan.  It's not like I am taking a walk or on FB.  Anyway, my point is, you see me 10.5 hours a day, why didn't you just tell me?  Oh yeah, because then you would have to talk to me...  Stuff like this happens all the time.

Ok, I am finished.  9 more months...

No comments:

Post a Comment