Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Darwin - home of the $25 tacos

It's HOT.  Everyday is about 94 and 70% humidity.  What do you eat in this weather?  Obvs MEXICAN!  What do you drink?  Obvs MARGARITAS!  Well, not here.

Ok, I get it.  Australia does not border Mexico.  But neither did Korea, and they manage to produce a few decent Mexican joints.  Well, there is one Mexican restaurant in Darwin.  Imagine this scenario:

I heard of this "Prickles" (suspect name) place.  I am thinking, YES, this is exactly what I need!  Delicious Mexican food, ice cold marg, guacamole, tortillas, omfg!  So obvs I look the place up online.  No website, but great reviews and - the best part - walking distance to my house!  (my neighborhood is pretty residential, you can't walk to many places).  Anyway, you can imagine my excitement.  A couple of the reviews said you def need reservations, so I call and make a reservation for 8pm Friday night, expecting it to be the best night of my life.  We roll in, place is kinda small but every table is taken.  We order 2 margaritas - the guy asks if we want a jug, which would be 4 glasses for I think $35.  I said, ok.  I should have known better when he didn't ask if we wanted them on the rocks.  He poured the jug right out of a machine and gave it to us.  Not even salt.  It was NASTY!  Tasted like a lime icey or something gross.  Anyway, I won't go into all the details, but this place SUCKED!  AND nearly everything on the menu is $25 -- except fajitas, which I think were over $30.  Seriously?  We spent over $100 by the end of it on tacos and enchiladas.  Worst of all, people think this place is good!!!

I am still recovering from that incident.  Also noticeably absent from the Darwin restaurant scene is a bakery.  I mean, no one is selling $5 cookies here?  Finally, there is a "kebab" shop, known to us as shawarma.  But it's like $14 and last time I had it, that sucked too!  Everyone knows shawarma is best sold from a truck, anyway!

So what else can I do but take matters into my own hands??  There is a market here for delicious burritos, homemade cookies and treats, and shawarma from a truck!  I just know it!  The US is deploying 2,500 marines to Darwin.  Where are these marines going to eat?!?!  I feel it is my patriotic duty to bring good food to the area.  It is my calling.

Please cast your vote in the poll.  The results will determine my down under business venture.

What business should I open in Darwin?

1 comment:

  1. Truck that sells meat on a stick, burritos, and desserts! Heaven!

    BTW. If that truck also sold margaritas, you would be instant millionaire.

    ReplyDelete