Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Workin on my fitness


I started running about a year and a half ago.  I didn't want to, I was forced.  I joined the gym in Korea and the only cardio machines they had were the treadmill and the bike.  I hate the bike, so chunkaaa had no choice but to start running.  Running really sucks, but I didn't hate it too much on the treadmill.  The machines overlooked a pretty busy street in Seoul and everyone got their own tv, which had MTV Asia.  So I could kinda space out watching cars or androgynous people and forget what I was doing... plus I am convinced the treadmill helps push you along a little bit. 

When I went home in March, I couldn't afford a gym membership since I blew all my savings on my 3 month vacation.  Therefore I had to start running OUTSIDE.  Outside is even worse than the treadmill!  I know most runners prefer running outdoors, but I am not a runner, I'm Lil Chunkaaa.  Anyway, I stayed with it and most weeks ran 5 days.  I was able to run consistently for 6 miles - not that far, I know, but an accomplishment for me - and got my 5k time to under 28 mins (again I realize this is not fast).  When fall came, I actually started to enjoy my runs, especially in long sleeves and pants.  

Well, welcome to fucking Darwin.  Considering right now I am home alone all day, I def need to make an effort to concentrate on fitness.  Again, no gym membership so, again, I am running outside.  Every single run, I DIE.  At first I couldnt even run a mile.  Not one mile!  Now, after 4 weeks, I can run 2 miles without having to stop.  Same thing happens every run.  First mile, I am cruisin.  I think to myself, it's not so bad today!  Second mile starts out strong too.  Then I reach a mile and a half, wow, it's hotter than I thought.  1.6 miles, jeez, how did I not realize how hot it is?? 1.75 miles, I going to fucking die!  My routine around my neighborhood is 3.8 miles and by the time I am home, I am so dead I can't even speak.

In all seriousness, it is that bad!  I just can't seem to get used to the heat.  And everyday is the same, you don't get a break from it. The sun is super strong too, so I have to wear sunblock.  No matter how long I let it sink into my skin, it seeps out of my pores and runs into my eyes, causing yet another distraction and making me more pissed off.  Running at night doesn't work either.  It is still humid as hell and, unfortunately, I am afraid of lizards.  I will be running along and lizard friend will dart out and it scares the shit out of me!  Then I start thinking if there's lizards, are there snakes too?  Crocs??  Something else?? I better get the hell out of here!!

But the absolute worse thing I can do is run with Jason.  He laughs at my running pace, even though I am running at under 9 mins a mile (another major accomplishment for me).  I think I am flying along and he's like are you serious?  I am not allowed to take breaks and when I whine I am going to throw up, he claims it's a good thing: "You're pushing your body!"  Uh, I don't want to!  He doesn't understand that A. I am a girl, throwing up on the side of the road is not cute (not that I look cute anyway...yesterday I came home and my roommate said to me, "Are you really that red????"  Thanks for noticing, douche.  Yes, it's hot as shit!)  and B. I am not in the fucking army!  Anyway, this week was the week I was supposed to be able to run the whole 3.8 miles without walking...not happening!  Somehow, I think I got even worse this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment