Tuesday, May 15, 2012

tackos and lollies

I need a makeover.  Desperately.  Not going to lie, I dont think I have ever been this ugly before.  Maybe in 5th grade when I got both glasses and braces in the same year.  Also, maybe at my prom...  but this is the ugliest since then!  My hair is both not dyed nor styled -- I had my last cut in dec and that was Mrs brady style.  I am still struggling with the bc's, causing my face to look like I am 15.  I have bought minimal clothes the last 2 years.  I dont wear make up and I dont blow dry my hair.  It is so bad that yesterday someone said "you look nice today."  I replied, "I do???"  to which she said, "yeah, you are wearing a headband."  ouch.

The Australian accent is killing me.  1st of all, I hate when people ask where my accent is from.  uh hum, I dont have an accent, you do!  They always want to know where specifically I am from in America and I when I say Boston, I get one of 2 responses.  Either they know Boston Legal or they don't -- in which case I say near New York which clears things up in most cases.  Boston Legal must have been big here, because that is always the only reason people know Boston.  2nd, you never want to hear an Australian person order Mexican food!  It's all fagitas this, tackos that.  Pina is pinna.  Pinnata.  And they switch the names of things!  Cilantro is coriander, shrimp is prawns, scallions are shallots, shallots are eschalot, bell peppers are capsicum, granola is muesli, oatmeal is porridge!  MAKE IT STOP!  And the absolute worst, candy is lollies.  "Mum, can I please have a lolly?"  NO.  

Ok, I will give some credit to Aussies.  They know their Asian food (makes sense I guess since I do live so close to Asia).  As much as I laugh because they dont know the difference between salsa verde and pico de gallo - I know SHIT about Indonesian and Malaysian food and they laugh at me when I try to order things like rendang sapi or even laksa...please tell me I am not the only person in the world who never heard of laksa before because it is a staple here!  I had my first laksa the other day --- noodle soup in spicy coconut milk.  Incredibly filling def not on chunkaas diet.  Not really my thing as it counteracts my chunkaas fitness plan, but was good to try.  If I had to choose between a burrito and a laksa, burrito any damn day!  And curries!  OMG, I dont know my curries! I was eating my rendang sapi the other day at work and someone asked me if I thought it tasted like a penang curry -- "uhhhh, idk, yeah, tastes good, errrr uhh little spicy."  So I guess I cant laugh (too much) at tackos.  

No comments:

Post a Comment