Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Really?

Couple different topics to cover in today's post.  First and foremost, what the fuck happened in Massachusetts yesterday?!  I feel like I did when I found out my mom voted for Bush in the 04 election!  I wasn't around for most of the campaign after the democratic primary, did Coakley really run that bad of a campaign?   I wish everyone who is opposed to health care reform would wake up.   Keeping my dad insured and avoiding getting my parents' home taken away has been the most challenging and complicated process my mom and I have ever incurred.  It is both difficult and humiliating to have to beg (literally beg) for health care for your family.  And if reform is ever to pass, it is also avoidable.  My 2 cents!

Back to Korea stuff.  I have to come to compare my first full month in Korea to old school Super Mario Brothers.   I am Mario on a quest.  I have to fight all these crazy goombas and koopa troopas, swim underwater, and try multiple tunnels to get to the flagpole at the end.  Just when I think I have won and found the princess, she is in another castle.   Yup, that's me.  Level one was just getting here!  I didn't experience any inclement weather, but somehow it still took me over 3 days to arrive!  What do you mean there are no flights to Seoul this entire weekend?! Who ever heard of that?!  Finally, I get here 2 days late, and my luggage is lost.  No one can tell me where it even is, or what airline is in control of it.  I missed my first day of work!  Level 2, figuring out my neighborhood!  Jullia's school was very helpful in showing her around.  Mine was like, this is how you get to the subway station, good luck sucka!  Uhhh, thanks?  Good thing I came with a subway map from my lonely planet, bc it's impossible to find one (most people have them downloaded onto their phones, but guess what.  I still don't have a phone!)  I didn't even know where there was a bank to change my money.  I just found the post office on Monday!  Anyway, level 3 -- getting my health check.  Most people get this the second day they are here.  I got mine after 3 weeks.  I guess because I came so close to the holidays?  So I finally get the physical results back after another week, complete with high levels of cold medicine in my blood from the fuckin cold I had for 3 weeks.  The director of my school says, "Don't worry, they are still going to issue your visa."  I should hope so!  Imagine getting deported for cold medicine?  Would only happen to me!  Level 4 - I take health check to Korean Immigration - only I can't find the stupid place.  It's like being killed by Bowser when you are in the castle and have to start that level all over.  So I repeat today, only this time I knew where I was going since I found it when it was way too late in the morning last week and I had to leave for class.  I roll in at 845 this am, thinking I will be first.  Not the case!  By  9am, there are at least 50 people there.  We are lined up outside the door, but when 9am comes around, the line is obsolete and the pushing has started.  Luckily, I expected the pushing and managed to get number 15!  When in Rome!  LOL.  My number is called and the quest continues.  "Take all this stuff over to that window, pay, and come back." "Now go back over there and get an envelop and come back."  "Now write your address down on this other envelop."  Uhh, I can't write in Korean...  "Fine, I write for you."  Gee, thanks.  When will I get my stuff back? (they kept my passport)  "About one week."  We'll see about that!

Basically, I still have not found the princess, which is my damn alien registration card -- the key to being legitimate in Korea!  Until I have this fucking card, I can't get a cell phone or a debit card!   Besides my ipod and laptop, I don't use anything more than those 2 items in my normal life in the US.  Once I have the card, I can roll into the cell phone place and attempt to get a plan.  I went with the other new teacher last week while he attempted to get his.  No one speaks English there, so they have to call someone and have them translate over the phone (this happens a lot).  After a half hour, the only thing we find out is that they don't activate phones after 8pm and come back another time.   Just killed by a koopa troopa!  Stomp!  The funny thing about Korea is so many things are written in English, but for the most part, people don't speak it.  For example, the cell phone store sign is in English, the posters inside are all English, the names of the phones are in English, but no one speaks it.  Bizarre.  Soon I will post pictures of odd things in English written on walls.  This is especially bad in coffee shops.  You think they would have someone proofread.  Random example, "We hope this to bring you coffee joy and happy."  Ok!

Another interesting day at school today.  One kid ran into another in my kindergarten and almost knocked a loose tooth out.  There was blood, and of course crying.  As usual, a fight and lots of tattling in the problematic preschool class.  There is one pretty evil child in there.  She chooses a target of the day, and convinces the others in the class not to play with him/her.  This girl just turned 6 (Koreans are a year older than American counterparts), and is already so vindictive.  I try to yell at her as frequently as possible.   And 2 kids called me fat.  Well, one said, as he says everyday, "Alexandra Teacher, I know you don't have baby, but you look like you do."  That was the one who was kicking on the floor last week.  Another said, "Alexandra Teacher, you look fat today."  Thanks, kid.  Funny thing is, when I looked in the mirror this morning, I thought, I look fat in this sweater.  Well, I guess I was right!  Seriously, don't teach kids in Korea if you have self esteem issues, because they will point out every flaw you have.  All the time.  Nothing goes unnoticed.  "Alexandra Teacher, what is that thing on your face?!"  Grrrrr.

Another long post!  How do I have this much to say all the time?  I need to get a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment