Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ant Invasion!

OK, that is it.  I am not fucking around anymore, these ants bout to get fucked up!  The past 2 days have been the worst ant days yet.  They got in the drawers... silverware, cooking utensils, and knives drawers all had to be emptied and scrubbed and all contents washed.  I even replaced the fucking drawer liners for petes sake!  I put the stuff back in, but I kept the drawers out, thinking if they were coming in from the walls, being on the counter would at least deter them a little bit (did that make any sense?).  Obvs it did not work!  Today ants were so bad, I actually had to take the drawers OUTSIDE and wash them down with the HOSE.  I feel so defeated!  I really cant handle it anymore.  I threw away any wooden spoons I had because they seem to be particularly attracted to those.  I don't want to be throwing my own shit away!!

Yesterday was a major day for ant research and it has been determined that I have "coastal brown ants."  Apparently they have taken Darwin by storm in the last 5 years.  They eat anything -- sugars, proteins, wooden spoons -- and are often looking for water as well as food.  Oh, almost forgot, I went to make coffee and the kettle was loaded, that has never happened before!  So, like I mentioned before, it's not raining right now, so ants are coming in looking for water.  Ants, hello?!  There is a pool 10 feet away, go there!  These ants nest outdoors and given I live in an apartment complex, it will be nearly impossible for me to find their nests.  Ok, now it gets crazy.  I read they build "super colonies" and if they feel their colony is stressed (ie poisoned, flooded), they join some friends in another colony, just making their population even bigger.  Also read they recognize the scent of ant baits and often won't eat them.  Someone said they can have "sacrificial" ants who will try the food first!  Are ants really smarter than me??

Word around Michie Court is that my upstairs neighbors are super untidy.  They just moved in around a month ago.  I am thinking this is not helping my situation either, ants prolly travel easily between our places. And yesterday, one little fucker bit me and left a mark bigger than a mosquito bite, wtf???

I am at a total loss.  All my food is locked up, like in ziplock bags inside of tupperware, but still they keep coming.  It is impossible for me to remove all moisture from my kitchen, many times they are hanging out around the sink.  The sink is always going to be a little wet!  I actually think it is the water that is really attracting them.  When we were gone, there were no ants because there was no water source.  ;-(  

2 comments:

  1. they're in the microwave AHHHHHHHHHHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. Do ants have natural predators? Can you adopt an Anteater? What about burning a serious amount of incense or sage and blowing the smoke on them?

    ReplyDelete