Monday, February 6, 2012

Aussie sports

Today being Superbowl Sunday, er Monday, here, I figured I would post about how Aussie sports are, on average, far inferior to American sports -- obvs.  No football or baseball here, but effing AFL, rugby, and worst of all, "the cricket."  AFL (known as "the footy") is nuts, the field is enormous, I don't even know how you could run that far.  It looks to me like what you would get if you combined soccer and football, but that's probably not accurate.  Rugby is rugby, but there's like several different kinds, so I don't get that either.  Lots of tackling and throwing the ball backwards.

The Cricket is the def the worst one.  IT IS ALWAYS ON!  I know the most about the cricket (which is not much) because it is on everyday, and everyday I am forced to watch it.  There are 3 kinds of cricket.  Test cricket goes for several days --  yes, one game lasts several days. They play like 9-5 everyday, stopping for lunch and tea.  Yes, tea.  Then there is the one day cricket, which lasts just one day.  I think that is called 20/20 Cricket.  Then there is fast cricket, which goes just a few hours.  I feel like they are always playing India.  Basically, some guy called the bowler runs at the batsman and throws the ball trying to hit 3 sticks called the wicket.  The batsman tries to hit the ball with this bat that looks like a paddle. If he hits it, he runs a short distance and that is one run.  Players can get like 300 runs a piece, they stay up there for fucking ever.  And 2 people are batting at a time.  That is my interpretation of what's going on, which is probably wrong.  The cricket is the 2nd most popular sport in the world after soccer!

Needless to say, we don't really have any of these sports in Darwin because it is too hot to play here.  I have been to one rugby match and that's it.  And everything is "the."  "You watch the cricket, mate?" "Nah mate, I watched the footy."  "Good on ya!" LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment